Saturday 26 March 2016

How I Built an Arcade Machine Cabinet in 65 Complicated Steps

Yes, way back in 2007 I managed to muddle my way through building an arcade machine cabinet completely from scratch. I had no idea what I was doing really. I am not a trades person or particularly handy with tools or building things. I work in IT! So this is not really a tutorial (there are plenty of those on the web already) and don't take it for best practices.

I've had my pics up on facebook for a while so thought I would post them here to show how I did it and some of the gotchas that caught me out. There's no right way or wrong way. I just did as much research as I could before I began and then figured out a lot of stuff as I went. I encourage anyone thinking about this to give it a go - it was a great experience and I learned a lot. Feel free to use my art assets and plans if it helps you with your own project.


01 - Wood Panels

3 sheets of 1200 x 2400 x 18mm MDF. You could probably get away with 16mm panels as these are damn heavy! I was working on the principle that my lack of craftsmanship could be mitigated with pure strength so the plan was to build it strong. Remember to wear a dust mask if you are working with MDF. The sawdust is bad news!




02 - Structural Timber

These are lengths of 42 x 19 x 1200mm pine. I will use these to screw the panels together. They are actually dressed pine which is overkill for the inside of a cabinet but they were only $1.90 each. I also got four lengths of 70 x 35 x 900 structural pine for the more load bearing areas, such as the base and monitor shelf.



03 - Screws

Get a shed load of screws. This bucket has four different sizes... just in case.



04 - Putty

Wood putty is your best friend if you make a lot of mistakes like I do! Plus I counter sunk all the screws so the visible faces needed to be filled and sanded.



05 - Arcade Parts

Buy a box full of arcade parts including joysticks, buttons, micro switches (that go in the buttons & joysticks) and a keyboard controller.



06 - T-Molding

T-molding is tricky to find but worth it for that genuine arcadey look. Try your arcade parts supplier.



07 - Buttons

Not all buttons are equal (the spring can feel a little different) so get a few different ones to test. Buttons with 1 and 2 player icons are a nice touch.



08 - Joysticks

Joysticks can vary even more than buttons. These ones are made by Happ Controls, a US company. A quality build is important if they are going to stand up to some punishing game play.



09 - Slot cutter

A slot cutter is essential if you are using t-molding. These router bits are surprisingly hard to find in the right size. The slot needed for arcade t-molding is very thin.



10 - Micro Switches

Micro switches can change the feel of a button more than the button itself. These are inserted in the joysticks and buttons. Good ones are essential - they need to keep working after a gazillion clicks.



11 - Keyboard Encoder

A keyboard encoder emulates a PC keyboard. When your buttons are wired up to this they can be mapped to keys. Then when a micro switch is clicked and creates a connection, the keyboard encoder send the PC the mapped key (eg Cursor up, down etc).



12 - Hole Drill

A 28mm high speed hole bit is perfect for standard arcade button sizes. Remember you need to drill plastics as well as wood.



13 - Castors

Castor wheels - make sure they are heavy duty enough to hold the weight.



14 - Draw Slide

My cab has a pull out keyboard drawer. This drawer slide was only a few bucks.



15 - Concealed Hinges

Concealed hinges for the cabinet access door.



Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

No comments:

Post a Comment