Saturday 26 March 2016

Electric Guitar Through Your Delta 1010LT PC Sound Card

Doing a quick search I noticed a lot of posts on the internet asking how to connect an electric guitar to a computer using the M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI sound card.

Most responses misguidedly advising you need a pre-amp because electric guitars do not output a 'line level' output. In other words the signal is too weak for most sound card inputs and needs a bit of amplification first.  For general, run-of-the-mill sound cards, this is probably true.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for those who took that incorrect advice and went and purchased a pre-amp) the Delta 1010LT has two inputs that can be used for low level inputs such as microphones and electric guitars. The 1010LT will amplify the input up to line level which makes it loud enough to play guitar through your PC.

This is how I set mine up.

The two inputs that can be amplified (and thus accept mics and guitars) are analog input 1 and 2 found on the breakout cable 2 (the larger of the two breakout cables). Analog input 1 and 2 have XLR connectors as opposed to the majority of other inputs which use RCA connectors. The reason being is they are designed to accept balanced input. This is a whole other topic and for our purposes doesn't really concern us but feel free to read up about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

The white coloured connector is input 1 and the red is input 2.



Now the Delta 1010LT has some hardware jumper settings that can set the two inputs to either accept line level or non-line level inputs. By default the card should be set to the microphone level (the one you want to use for guitar) but it's worth checking. With your computer turned off or the card removed check the jumper switches.

This diagram shows the settings.



First try option 1 which sets the mic level to +30db. If you find the signal is too strong and you get unwanted distortion try option 1A which lowers the amount of amplification but is still mic level. Option 2 and 2A allow you to use these inputs for balanced line level audio.

Once your cards hardware settings are correct you will need to get an XLR to Phone adapter in order to plug your normal electric guitar cable into the input. Here's what they look like:



Obviously get a female phone jack and make sure you get the 6.35mm (1/4 inch) version and not the smaller 3.5mm version else you will need another adapter to convert the size. Generally the less adapters you click together the better for keeping your signal clean and interference free.

In a pinch I couldn't get an XLR to phone adapter so I settled for an XLR to RCA and have an RCA to Phone adapter plugged into that. Not ideal, but it will do until I can swap it out at a later date.




Finally once you are plugged in you will need to check the input levels in your software. I use my Delta 1010LT primarily in Kubuntu Linux so if you are a windows or mac user your mixer software will look different, but you should essentially have the same options.

You want to make sure that the input level of the analog input you have the guitar plugged into is increased enough to allow you to hear it. There's nothing worse than wasting time trying to figure out why you have no sound only to find out you have a volume control turned right down (and most of them are by default).

In this screen shot you can see ADC input 1 is turned up to 0db. Word of advice - start low and slowly turn up rather than hitting that first power chord with everything set to max!



Another trick with the 1010LT is checking the digital patch bay or router. If you want to hear your guitar you need to route your input signal to your output. In this screen shot you can see I have my speakers plugged into output 1 and 2 so I set H/W Out 1 (L) and H/W Out 2 (R) to both play H/W In 1 so my guitar comes out both left and right speakers.



In summary, if you have a M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI sound card, you do NOT need a pre-amp or special guitar amplifier to play guitar through your PC. You can use the amplified inputs of the 1010LT.

In another post I will explain how to route the guitar audio into a virtual effects rack before coming back out to your speakers or to another application for recording and playback.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for giving this info :) Almost bought pre-amp for playing electric guitar, but fortunately I found this.

    Have a really nice day!

    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johnny - Exactly why I posted it!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if I'm running a microphone through a mixer with preamps which setting is best. I have mine set to 1A at the moment and it's extremely hot and the trim is all the way down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You want setting 2 or 2A. Setting 1 and 1A is for signals that are not amplified and the card will then add its own amplification to the signal. If your signal is already amplified by a pre-amp then it will be hot as you describe if the card is expecting to get mic level input.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I understand the 2 and 2A settings: what they're used for, precisely? Do they just decrease the signal input furtherly if compared to 1 and 1A?

    I'd like above all to record my guitar (via XLR cables) but sometimes I may record the voice too and I wouldn't like to change my jumper setting every time. I don't know if guitar and mic would have a huge input difference (also because my guitar has active pickup and I don't have the mic here, so I can't try it right now), so what setting do you suggest?

    I hope I've been clear, I tried not to write a very long message!

    EDIT: Great post anyway! It's very useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alberto. Guitar and microphone input should be ok on the same setting. Either 1 or 1A. Both of these settings expect unamplified signal (like a microphone or guitar). Setting 1 will ramp the signal by 30dB and if that's too much try 1A which only ramps it by 19dB.

      Setting 2 and 2A expect an already amplified signal so will not amplify the signal nearly as much. Perfect for a CD player, keyboard, synth or other powered outputs. These are generally called line level inputs/outputs.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I got it, thanks! One more thing: my guitar comes from a Line 6 pocket pod, which I set in "direct input" mode. In this way the sound is "raw", but more suitable for recording and editing via software (e.g.: Guitar Rig exc.).
      So what would be the best setting for this situation (guitar with pod and voice mic)? I guess it's 1A anyway, but I ask this to you anyway!

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Andrew, I'm writing to you because I'm facing a problem which may force me to change the audio card. :\

    I send you the M-Audio forum link where I posted my problem. If you found any similar problem, please let me know! Thank you very much.

    http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/m-audio-delta-1010lt-problem-with-speakers-output-channels-pics

    ReplyDelete